The Saga of the 37 Pumpkins - Installment 26 - Pumpkin Granola

The book started as follows:

My life began in a patch of dirt. Over the course of my childhood, the patch of dirt became populated by other pumpkins and filled up by their flowing stalks and their shady leaves. For a time, I lived there, drinking water and watching the clouds pass overhead. Then there was an uprooting. I was sent away to a greenhouse with the other small pumpkins, like Patch, Jack, and Maxima. I was quiet. I don't think they really noticed me. I was very lonely there, without my parents or siblings, so I filled up my days with writing. So the story began.

"So you think a pumpkin can't be a brownie? I'll prove you wrong, I'll prove you wrong!" a big, fat pumpkin exclaimed, interrupting Patch's reading.

Then there were 10...

For the complete Saga archives, click here.






Pumpkin Granola

Ingredients:


  • 5 cups rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries

Instructions:

Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.. You'll need 2 bowls and a large baking pan. (A roaster or large baking pan works well for drying out the granola in the oven.) 

In a large bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar. Mix thoroughly.

In another bowl, stir the pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.

Pour the pumpkin mixture over the oat mixture and stir until fully incorporated. 

Add mixture into a large baking pan and put into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir. Bake for another 10 minutes, then stir. Continue this process until you have baked the granola for a full 30 minutes. 

Remove from oven and add cranberries. 

Experiment and try adding chopped pecans or raisins to this recipe. Both work equally well with the subtle pumpkin flavor of this granola. 

Enjoy with plain, with milk, or yogurt!

recipe adapted from: Two Peas and Their Pod 




Comments

Popular Posts